My postings are my own and don’t necessarily represent VMware’s positions, strategies or opinions.
External link: Russian version of this article was migrated to a blog post.
- Switch to tenant - Company
- Switch to Groups & Settings → Groups → Organization Groups → Organization Groups Detail
- Set the company name, set GroupID, country and time zone
- Switch to Groups & Settings → All Settings → Devices & Users → Apple → Apple iOS → Intelligent Hub Settings, click Override
- Set Background App Refresh - for the AirWatch Agent works in the background and does not interfere with other apps
- Turn on Collect Location Data - collection of data from GPS (Location Services)
- Do not touch SDK profiles, leave settings as is currently
- Launch the Admin Console on the exact server, where AWCM is installed (FE) and go to Groups & Settings > All Settings > Device & Users > Android > Intelligent Hub Settings
- Switch Use AWCM Instead of C2DM as Push Notification Service - if you have Android devices with no Google Apps/Services, no Google Account, or want to restrict PUSH notifications to MDM-direct
- Switch AWCM Client Deployment Type to Always Running, click Save
- Go to Groups & Settings > All Settings > System > Advanced > Secure Channel Certificate
- Check/configure the Windows environment variable JAVA_HOME - it must point to the last version installed c:\Program Files\jre-<номер версии>
- Click Download AWCM Secure Channel Certificate Installer and launch the cert installer
Check the cert install: open cmd as Administrator and enter command such as:
Enter password as the password for the keystore, and check there are 2 certificates entered, including the secure channel certificate
Switch to tenant = Global, go to Groups & Settings > All Settings > System > Advanced > Site URLs, click Enable AWCM Server button at the end of the page
Check AWCM settings: internal and external DNS names (they MUST be exactly those used in the corp certificate!) and port number (TCP2001).
Port TCP 2001 MUST be open FROM the outside to server with AWCM (Device Services - FE) in order for direct PUSH to work with Android, and Windows Phone/Desktop devices.
If the external DNS name is published on an external proxy or load balancer, and the inner servers do not know this, use hosts file on Admin Console (BE) server and AirWatch Cloud Connector (ACC) / Enterprise Systems Connector (ESC) to make an alias of external DNS name and internal IP of Device Services (FE) server.
APNs certificate for Apple and SSL for Apple profiles
- Launch Admin Console using Firefox, Safari or Chrome (IE not supported!). Go to Groups & Settings → All Settings → Devices & Users → Apple → APNs for MDM
- Download plist file.
- Prepare an AppleID account, click Go to Apple
- On Apple website click Create certificate, accept the terms, upload the plist file, download the corresponding PEM file on local disk
- Return to the Admin Console - click Next, upload the PEM file and enter the corresponding AppleID click Save. Enter the PIN code of the console administrator
- Go to Groups & Settings → All Settings → Devices & Users → Apple → Profiles
- Click Upload and choose the PFX file of the corp certificate enter the password of the PFX container
Google Play Registration and Android for Enterprise/Legacy Enrollment
- Launch Admin Console using Firefox, Safari or Chrome (IE not supported!). Switch to Groups & Settings → All Settings → Devices & Users → Android → Android EMM Registration
- Click Register with Google
- Proceed with steps on Google website, entering the GMail Account (each GMail Account may only be used ONCE for 1 ЕММ system (any))
For old AirWatch Console 9.0.1 and earlier, if upgraded to latest version of UEM, the Enable Play Store button should be clicked.
- Open Enrollment Restrictions tab: choose Define the enrollment method for this organization group. Default is Always use Android, which means to always use Android for Enterprise of type = Device Work Profile (duplication of software into BYOD/Corp containers). If devices with potential AfE support in current group are to be enrolled and managed using Android Legacy ELM/POEM drivers, then choose Always use Android (Legacy) in list, or choose hybrid mode by defining user groups for AfE: Define Assignment Groups that use Android.
AirWatch Cloud Connector (ACC) / Enterprise Systems Connector
- Launch the Admin Console on the exact server, where ACC is to be installed and switch to a non-Global Tenant
You cannot download the ACC distrib on one server, then copy and launch on another!
- Go to Groups & Settings > All Settings > System > Enterprise Integration > Cloud Connector, turn on Override, switch Enable AirWatch Cloud Connector and Enable Auto Update
It is strongly recommended to configure ACC on non-Global level
- Switch to Advanced tab, click Generate Certificate button to create the connection certificate to AWCM
- Choose Use Internal AWCM URL - if the connector is in LAN, and AWCM - in DMZ
- Use buttons to switch ON services/components, which will talk to the connector (the usual minimum is LDAP, CA, SCEP, Syslog, )
- Switch back to General tab, choose Download Enterprise Systems Connector Installer link, enter password
- Install .NET Framework 4.6.2 on server
- Launch the downloaded installer
- Enter the password for certificate
Check the installation
- Go to Groups & Settings > All Settings > System > Enterprise Integration > Cloud Connector
- Click Test Connection and check that the connector is available
"Error : Reached AWCM but VMware Enterprise Systems Connector is not active" is resolved by server reboot and opening TCP2001 port from Cloud Connector to AWCM.
- Use Company tenant, go to Groups & Settings > All Settings > System > Enterprise Integration > Directory Services
- Choose Skip wizard and configure manually (alternative path Accounts > Administrators > Settings > Directory Services)
- Enter domain data:
- Directory Type = Active Directory
- Server - domain controller name
- Encryption Type = None
- Bind Authentication Type - connection type = GSS-Negotiate is recommended, which means choose automatically Kerberos or NTLM depending on what is available
- Bind Username - enter the service account user for reading the domain as <domain>\<user>
- Bind Password - enter the domain service account password
- In Domain - Server fields enter the suffix of the domain and the name of the domain controller
- Click Test Connection, check there is network access to the domain controller
- Choose the User tab, DN field - choose the topmost level from the list
- Choose the Group tab, DN field - choose the topmost level from the list
- Click Save
Self-enrollment of Active Directory Users
- In Company tenant go to Groups & Settings > All Settings > Device & Users > General > Enrollment
- In Authentication Mode(s) choose Directory checkbox
- Go to Restrictions, make sure that Restrict Enrollment To Known Users and Restrict Enrollment To Configured Groups are disabled.
Batch Import and Message Templates
To Batch Import users in an AirWatch group, this group needs a Group ID, which allows Enrollment into it.
During user import, a connection token can be distributed via EMail. The template language depends on the localization configuration of the specific Organization Group.
When defining localization on the topmost level, the sub-groups of the lower level may have a strange setting like "Select*". It is recommended to specify the localization settings on each group and sub-group, so there is no obscurity in the settings.
Configure SDK default profiles
- Switch to Groups & Settings → All Settings → Apps → Settings & policies → Security Policies, click Override
- Leave Passcode turned on
- Activate Single Sign-On
- Activate Integrated Authentication to auto-enter apps and websites, put Enrollment Credentials and write star symbol ( * ) in mask = all websites