- Resetting passwords KB - https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2149950;
- PhotonOS on Github - https://github.com/vmware/photon;
- API Call to set password
❗️The admin user password must be at least 12 characters in length.
SSH User Password Change
Connect to WS1 Access Appliance by SSH, run command:
Web Console Admin Password Reset
Log in to the URL as a root user: https://ApplianceFQDN:8443/cfg/changePassword
Access WS1 Access using ssh (sshuser password needed), do su and use this command to reset password:
- Admin console site:
/usr/sbin/hznAdminTool setOperatorPassword --pass newsecretpassword
- Configurator page:
/usr/sbin/hznAdminTool setSystemAdminPassword --pass newsecretpassword
Root User Password Reset
WS1 Access works on VMware PhotonOS variation of Linux. It has a Single User Mode.
- Go to vCenter Server list of VMs;
- Right-click the affected WS1 Access OVA and click Open Console;
- Under the VM menu, click Power->Shut Down Guest;
- When the shutdown completes, Power On the WS1 Access Appliance;
- When the GNU GRUB menu displays, press p and enter the configured bootloader password = ⭐️ H0rizon! ⭐️ ; ❗️GRUB menu appears for a few seconds. If you miss it, reboot and try again;
- Use the up and down arrow keys to navigate to the first entry, and press e to edit the relevant boot parameters;
- Use the arrow keys to navigate to the line beginning with kernel and press e to edit;
- The cursor is at the end of the line, type a space and then append
init=/bin/bashto the line;
- Press Enter to confirm the changes;
- Press b to execute the boot;
- After boot, you have ROOT access and you are able to set new passwords, for root:
passwdand for sshuser:
passwd sshuser; ❗️Follow password policies on new passwords!
- Shutdown by using command:
shutdown -h -P now; ❗️VMware Tools do NOT work in Single User Mode, so shutdown from vCenter will NOT work;
- Start WS1 Access Appliance.